Thursday, April 28, 2011

Oops, I did it again.....

And from across the world this time. Today was Mom's birthday! (Happy Birthday, Mum!) I kept trying to get her to come up with something she wanted to do for her birthday. But all she wanted to do was surprised me with something. (I think the hobbit-air here is getting to her. ;) ) So she did! A bookarama!


The local Rotary club is having their annual book sale. So we went. I bought. I now have books that did not come over of the ship. However, I did constrain myself. But I found some books, that I literally couldn't pass up!

Here they are!

I found a sweet little Winnie-the-Pooh trivia book that I'll post a snippet from in a minute.

I was also ecstatic to find a copy of Emma from 1932! I've never seen one that early in my budget!


After being in The Miracle Worker last summer, I've been very curious to learn more about Annie and Helen. I think the 782 pages in this book might quench that thirst.....or possibly drown me.


I am very happy to report that Enid Blyton books are available here. Well, there are now two less because I picked these up today.


But my most treasured book today is:


There is a story that explains my enthusiasm for this gaudily painted cover. When we lived in England, I frequently found books to buy in the charity shops. And I found a book that I loved. It had a story about Bonnie Prince Charming that I read over and over. Much to my chagrin, it went missing. I can't remember if I got rid of it accidently or it was just misplaced during a move. The point being, I didn't have it anymore. And I wanted it. I really wanted it. However, I had always known exactly where it was on my bookshelf and had never bothered to remember the title. So while I performed numerous searches online, I could NOT find the book. If you concentrate all your imaginative powers, you might be able to slightly understand my resounding shock that literally left me shaking when I found this book on the table today. When I first saw it I wasn't sure that was the book because mine had looked like this:


But with the lettering mostly rubbed off. So I opening the cover to read the stories, and every single story I read confirmed that my nearly 16 year search was at an end.


Did I mention this was a good day? :D


So, how better to end a happy post on an exciting day (Happy Birthday, Mum!) than with a trivia question from Winnie-ther-Pooh (You know what "ther" is for, right?).


"When Pooh, Christopher Robin, an the others go on the Expotition, what are they looking for?"


How well do you know your Milne? ;)


Tiffany

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great day! I think we have the same taste in books :-) I spent last week in the US, and bought a book that you may know: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, by Kate Douglas Smith Wiggis. Have you read it? I am re-reading Anne of the Island, and thought about reading my new adquisition once i´m done with it.

    Also, maybe, as an idea for a post, you could tell us about your favorite books. I am always looking for new children/old books to read, but amazon and bookdepository have too many and it takes me hours to find a new good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    It looks like you had fun book shopping. Whenever I visit an antique shop I am directly drawn to the shelves of books- a definite weakness of mine! : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, that's exactly where I go to first as well! I think there's is a magnet in me that corresponds with a magnet in the books. It's the only way I can explain the pull. ;)

    Elena, I have read Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. But it's been ages ago. I do remember I enjoyed it, but beyond that.....it's a blank. Thank you for the idea for a post. I have been wanting to do something like that, but wanted to wait until I got my books back from the move, so it might still be a few months. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete