Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Quote

I have made a habit of reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" at least once a year. I love doing this, one, because the stories are so delightful and bring many memories of the first readings, and two, because each time I read them, I see something new in them (even after 18 years, oh my:-).

I just finished re-reading "The Silver Chair". (For those of you who care I read them in the published order, aka. LWW, PC, VDT, SC, HHB, MN, LB) I have always loved this quote and it has always been a comforting one somehow:

"'The boy is safe. I have blown him to Narnia. But your task will be the harder because of what you have done.'

"'Please, what task, Sir?' said Jill.

"'The task for which I called you and him here out of your own world.'

"This puzzled Jill very much. 'It's mistaking me for someone else,' she thought. She didn't dare to tell the Lion this, though she felt things would get into a dreadful muddle unless she did.

"'Speak your thought, Human Child,' said the Lion.

"'I was wondering - I mean - - could there be some mistake? Because nobody called me and Scrubb, you know. It was we who asked to come here. Scrubb said we were to call to - to Somebody - it was a name I wouldn't know - and perhaps the Somebody would let us in. And we did, and then we found the door open.'

"'You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,' said the Lion."

--The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis.

How typical of "us humans" to think that we are always in control of everything. I think sometimes we could you use Someone reminding us that we wouldn't be doing what we are doing if it weren't for Him.

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment