Sunday, January 8, 2012

Edoras and pictures......

I thought I'd make up for all the pictureless posts by using this post to add a lot!

We made our way to Edoras on an official tour this past Saturday. We almost didn't go. The weather in Christchurch was awful, cold and wet without even a peek of blue sky. But we decided to press on and go to Mt. Sunday.

I also elected to wear an Eowyn costume I had made a few years ago. It was fun being able to stand up there dressed as the part.

We were so glad we did. The weather there was absolutely beautiful. The sun was shining and there were just enough clouds in the sky to add dimension to the place.

Right, now on to the good stuff.


Mt. Sunday (the place used for Edoras) is set in a valley. As you come over the mountain and see it for the first time, it really doesn't look like much. Set against the backdrop of much taller mountains, it actually looks like a tiny hill.
But then you start driving closer. And it starts looking bigger.
And then you are at the base and you realize that it is pretty big. It also sets in around this time that you had agreed to climb it. :)
The only natural thing to do when get ready to climb is to sit down for a rest first.
Then we made it to the top.....
And the view was breathtaking.
The nice thing about going on an official tour is that they bring props. Archery I'm comfortable with. Swords......not so much. :)
This is the view on the other side of the mount.
This is the view they used when Aragorn first sees Helm's Deep. Although Helm's Deep is actually a few hours drive away. :)
Dad had fun with Aragorn's sword.
And he got to hold up the Rohanian flag.
Afterwards we had a delightful lunch at a lodge nearby and then made the almost two hour journey back to Christchurch.
The beauty here in New Zealand is breathtaking and I wanted a panoramic camera the whole way up.
Hope you enjoy the pictures!
Tiffany

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! That'll be an experience you remember always. Wish I could have been up there with you! Those scenes look truly breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm not jealous... I'm not! At least that's what I keep telling myself ;-) It *is* funny how small Mt. Sunday looks in that first picture -- quite the mole-hill in comparison to the mountains behind it. I'm glad to hear it was a bit more imposing close-up!

    Simply lovely pictures, and you look smashing in your costume. What a blessing you held on to it for such a time as this! :-)

    I've been looking forward to this post ever since you told me you were going, and it certainly did not disappoint! If only I weighed under a pound and could be sent first-class mail... ;-)

    Love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous ;-)
    Very, very neat!! That would certainly be an amazing opportunity to be able to experience that. :) Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete