Tuesday, January 3, 2012

HELP!

I need your help.

I am in the process of writing a monodrama (a performance by one person) about the life of Jane Austen. It has been fun researching and planning and I am really excited to move onto the writing stage.

However, this is where I need your help. I am torn between writing the whole thing from Cassandra's (Jane Austen) point of view and writing it in more of a play format with multiple characters (Jane, Cassandra, their mother and brothers, etc.).

So, what do you think? Which do you think would be more interesting and communicate her story better?

Tiffany

Posted via DraftCraft app

3 comments:

  1. hmmm, i would enjoy one with multiple points of view...though both ideas sound fabulous (but that wouldn't help you :P )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that´s a difficult question! I guess it depends on what you want to say: if you give Cassandra´s point of view, you can only give HER point of view (kind of redundant, but I can´t express it any better. You can only say what she sees and thinks, nothing else). Good thing is, it gives the drama a sense of unity.

    If you write the drama with multiple characters, you take the chance of not communicating the drama as a unit, it could look as if it were lots of dramas, pierced together. But you could communicate the same story from several perspectives, which could be interesting. Kind of like Dracula, where you read the story told by different people, and you only get the whole story once it´s over.

    Did all that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina- I appreciate your thoughts. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks they would both be fun! :)

    Elena- Those were exactly my issues. I like the unity and the ability that Cassandra would have to look back at Jane's life and give insight in ways that people in the present couldn't. But the other perspective would give many different perspectives.

    Thank you all for giving comments. It is so helpful to have other people's opinions.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete